Thursday, August 7, 2014

Windows and Siding

Hi Friends!

Not windows and siding for your house....lol
Windows and siding for your cards! :)


Let's start with the siding...

It's super easy to create this cute little scalloped siding.  It also makes
a cute roof.

Depending on whether your A2 card will be vertical or horizontal
you will want to make strips that are 1/4" wider that the layer
you are placing them on.
The width of my layer is 4"
so
My strips will be 4 1/4" wide.

Don't mind my "older than dirt" border punch.  It is the same
punch that's in the catalog, just the old punch design.

You can decide the height of your strips, mine are 3/4".
With these dimensions above, I needed 17 punched strips in all.

Next, layer the strips onto your base.  Off-set them as shown.
(This is why they have to be a 1/4" wider)

Cool Tip:
Try the Silicone Craft Sheet (127853)
when adding adhesive...it lets you get get your adhesive over the edge, but instead of having 
a "goppy" mess...your adhesive only sticks to your card stock!
Love this thing!  It's awesome for hot gluing too!

So once you have your base covered with the strips, simply trim off the
overlapping edges with your paper snips.

Alrighty...Window time!
I'm going to show you 2 easy peasy ways to create a window frame.

For the purpose of this tutorial, I'm using black cardstock so it shows up well.

Let's start with using the 1" Square punch:

For this method, your cardstock has to be 
2 3/4" X 2 3/4"
Grid Paper is invaluable to me!  I can't live without it!

What I've done here is place my CS in the bottom left corner of the grid paper.
 I wanted my window frame to be 1/4" all around.

Using a pencil and ruler, I marked my lines.

Next, I used the 1" square punch to make the window panes.
Don't worry about the lines, they will be on the back side.
And... VoilĂ !
You have a window:)

Making A Window of a Different Size
Using the Stampin' Trimmer: 

The window on my card shown above is actually 3 1/2" X 3 1/2"
You can make any size window you want, just be sure the math works out:)
As above, you want to create your grid.  I find this much easier to see when using the Stampin' Trimmer...it's hard to read those tiny numbers. I know, I'm old :(

Here's the measurements and marked grid:
Next line up your grid on the trimmer. Place the line on your grid so it matches perfectly with the cutting mat.
Stop and lift the blade when you reach the first line of the center of the frame. Move over to the second line, then put the blade down and cut to the next line.

Just keep turning the window frame and cutting until you have all four panes cut out.
When you are finished it will look like this:
Flip it over, and there you have it!

Now just add a little dimension...
Another cool tip:
Use up those sides on your Stampin' Dimensional sheets!  They are perfect for this project!

 It would be fun to add a piece of Window Sheet (114323) here, but I didn't think of it until I was done making my card...next time!

Next time you're in the mood for some major exterior work on your home...have a little fun making a card first...
 Thanks for joining me today!
Happy Crafting!
 photo e5348add-1dbf-495a-a477-f7063da71c17.jpg

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...